Have you ever heard of fruit jerky? Me neither.
That’s until the guys at Jerky.com posted me some samples of their newest product – pineapple jerky. I’ve heard of beef jerky and even kangaroo jerky, but never a fruit based jerky! So I was intrigued to try it.
If you’ve got a sweet tooth then you’re going to love this. It’s got a firm texture and is sweet without being cloying. If you’re concerned about health (aren’t we all?) then think of it as dried fruit with a jazzed up jerky name.
What I’m most impressed about this product is the ingredients list. Pineapple and honey. That’s it. Which is very cool considering the long lists of weird numbers you find on snack packages these days. Plus the pineapples are from beautiful Maui in Hawaii so they must be good for you!
Here’s my Top 5 Ways to Enjoy Pineapple Jerky:
- Add to muesli: it’s always nice to find a sweet and chewy surprise in your morning bowl of goodness. Plus it adds a delightful tropical flavour.
- Decorate cakes: sliced and fanned over cream cheese icing on a carrot cake would not only be pretty, but a complimentary flavour addition too. Especially if you’re one of those people who adds canned pineapple to their carrot cake.
- Compote, stewed fruit, crumbles: chop it up and add to any of these to impart a tropical pineapple flavour and soften the texture into delicious gooeyness (if that’s even a real word!).
- Eat as a snack: sometimes simple ideas are the best. Just open the package and nibble away. It’s a perfectly portioned slice.
- Garnish cocktails: they’re just begging to sit alongside a pina colada, don’t you think? Lie in a hammock and enjoy the afternoon!
I’m experimenting with a few recipes and if any are good enough I’ll post them up soon. In the meantime, if you want to try the pineapple jerky for yourself check out Jerky.com for details.
Happy cooking! Christie x
Don’t miss all the tasty action. Click here to get the Fig & Cherry RSS Feed!
Want even more yummy chat? Follow me on Twitter.