UPDATE: This competition is now closed.
Slow cookers are amazing.
This soup made itself while I went out all day with my Mum to Mathilda’s Market (baby stuff) and shopped up a storm.
I simply rummaged around in the fridge and freezer, chucked everything into the slow cooker, put the lid on and then came home to the intoxicating smell of homemade chicken soup.
I was lucky enough to receive this slow cooker as a gift from Lorraine at Beyond the Square Communications so that I could trial the new range of McCormick Food slow cooker recipe bases.
I tried the Moroccan Lamb Casserole and it turned out beautifully, but my photos came out terribly, so I couldn’t bear to post them here.
The good news is that it’s got me hooked with experimenting with my own slow cooker recipes (hence this chicken soup!) but I’ve got 6 packs of slow cooker bases left and I thought I’d give them away to you!
I tend to forget that not everyone likes to make up their own recipes and most people love pre-mixed recipe bases to take the guess work and hassle out of making dinner. That’s why I’m giving one lucky reader the chance to win the six packs.
Click the button below to view the competition entry details and get the chicken soup recipe.
What you win:
Italian Chicken, Tomato and Vegetable Soup recipe base
Moroccan Chicken and Pumpkin Soup recipe base
Beef Chilli Con Carne recipe base
Beef with Tomato and Herb Gravy Roast recipe base
Chunky Beef Stroganoff recipe base
Chicken, Bacon and Potato recipe base
How to enter:
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup Recipe
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 carrrots
- 1 turnip, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled
- 1.8kg whole free range chicken, washed and stray feathers plucked
- 5-6 sprigs of flat leaf parsley
- 5-6 whole black peppercorns
- sea salt, to taste (I used about a teaspoon)
- cooked egg noodles or small pasta shapes, to serve (optional)
1. Wash and roughly chop all the vegetables into large chunks. Place the chicken in your slow cooker (I used a 4.5L one) and arrange the vegetables on top.
2. Add enough cold water to just cover everything – approximately 2 litres. Then tuck in the parsley sprigs so they are submerged and throw in the peppercorns.
3. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Remove the chicken and shred the meat, then add the shredded meat back to the soup. Discard the skin and bones. Taste and season with salt.
4. Serve by placing the cooked noodles into bowls and ladling over the hot broth, chicken and vegetables.
Note: You can also add more herbs like bay leaves or veggies like potato and garlic, but I just used up what was in my fridge at the time.